Pages

Blog Archive

Followers

Monday, October 11, 2010

Talk of the Day: Good, Better, Best

Last week for FHE, I taught a lesson about making priorities in life. I have recently decided to give up on some things in my life that have been a huge part of my life for many years and I wanted to teach the kids the reason I have done so.

This morning in Institute, I was reminded of the excellent talk by Elder Dallin H. Oaks from October 2007 called "Good, Better, Best".  (Link)

Here are some of the things that I would like to point out from this talk.


We should begin by recognizing the reality that just because something is good is not a sufficient reason for doing it. The number of good things we can do far exceeds the time available to accomplish them. Some things are better than good, and these are the things that should command priority attention in our lives.

I know a person that loves family history work. It is a huge part of their life. Family history work is, without a doubt, one of the best things we can do in this life. However, if family history work is cutting into your family time - time spent with your living family - is it really the best thing? We need to choose what things are better for us.

Right now in my life, school is a pretty important thing. I am trying to do at 38 what I should've done at 23. I made mistakes earlier in life and I am paying for them now. A few months ago, I was doing a homework assignment in which I was to interpret a song. I chose "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin. Ironically, as I was typing this fantastic essay about how the son in the song wanted to spend time with dad, but dad was too busy, my son asked me to play Jedi with him. "I can't right now, I am doing homework." My son left the room deflated.

At that point I realized that playing with my son at that moment was more important than any homework I could possibly do. I saved my work and played Jedi with him. Then, later that night when everyone else went to bed, I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning finishing my essay.

I think I chose the better route.

Continuing with Elder Oaks:
As we consider various choices, we should remember that it is not enough that something is good. Other choices are better, and still others are best. Even though a particular choice is more costly, its far greater value may make it the best choice of all.

Consider how we use our time in the choices we make in viewing television, playing video games, surfing the Internet, or reading books or magazines. Of course it is good to view wholesome entertainment or to obtain interesting information. But not everything of that sort is worth the portion of our life we give to obtain it. Some things are better, and others are best. When the Lord told us to seek learning, He said, "Seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom" (D&C 88:118).
There is NOTHING wrong with taking some "me time". However, it has been said that the earth is a school, not a playground. The Lord says it better: "Thou shalt not idle away thy time." (D&C 60:13) We should spend our time on things that are better or best, not just on good things.

In a talk given to the Church Educational System, Elder David A. Bednar said, "Initially the investment of time may seem relatively harmless, rationalized as a few minutes of needed relief from the demands of a hectic daily schedule, but...progressively, seemingly innocent entertainment can become a form of pernicious enslavement." (Link)

Continuing with Elder Oaks' talk.  He then talks about how even church callings can take away time. He warned that Church leaders should "exercise their authority to weed out the excessive and ineffective busyness that is sometimes required of the members of their stakes or wards. Church programs should focus on what is best (most effective) in achieving their assigned purposes without unduly infringing on the time families need for their 'divinely appointed duties.'"

He continues:


But here is a caution for families. Suppose Church leaders reduce the time required by Church meetings and activities in order to increase the time available for families to be together. This will not achieve its intended purpose unless individual family members — especially parents — vigorously act to increase family togetherness and one-on-one time. Team sports and technology toys like video games and the Internet are already winning away the time of our children and youth. Surfing the Internet is not better than serving the Lord or strengthening the family. Some young men and women are skipping Church youth activities or cutting family time in order to participate in soccer leagues or to pursue various entertainments. Some young people are amusing themselves to death—spiritual death.

I'm sure you have all had this happen to you. You are barely surviving on an income and then you get a raise, which should help out. Instead, you are in the same boat because you say to yourself, "I have more money now" so you spend it on frivolous things.

The same can be said with time. We say, "If only I had more time I would do my family history, read my scriptures, play with my kids more and serve my fellow man" and then we get that "extra time" and we sit down to watch a Batman movie fest or play the Wii for three hours or catch up on our friends' lives on Facebook for hours because, hey, we earned that "extra time".

Like I said, none of these things are bad, but there are better things that we can be doing during our "extra time" that will bring us more joy.

One last quote from Elder Oaks: "Some uses of individual and family time are better, and others are best. We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families."

In one of the great revelations given through the Prophet Joseph Smith, the Lord stated, "And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things. Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will. Remember the great and last promise which I have made unto you; cast away your idle thoughts and your excess of laughter far from you. (D&C 88:67-69)

Later in the chapter it continues: "Organize yourselves...and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High. Therefore, cease from all your light speeches, from all laughter, from all your lustful desires, from all your pride and light-mindedness, and from all your wicked doings.  Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another...Pray always, that ye may not faint, until I come. Behold, and lo, I will come quickly, and receive you unto myself. Amen.  (D&C 88:119-126)

I hope that you and I will strive to find the best things to do with the time we are given, instead of using them on "good" things.

1 comment:

Indiana Jones said...

Eric, that was a much needed read. Good thing with my "free time" I decided to check this out and see what you were up to. Thanks for the reminder of that talk as well.