Pages

Blog Archive

Followers

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Feed Just One

I love the quote by Mother Teresa, "If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."

It goes along with the lesson the Savior gave in Matthew 25:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
So many of us feel that it is so hard to make a difference in the world because there is so much to do. "If only I had unlimited funds," I tell myself, "I would give so much money to the poor." Or "If only I were a doctor, I would go to other countries and give them the medicine they need." So instead of trying to help out my neighbor who is in need, I sit back and wish that I could help everyone.

As of right now, there are 310,375,321 people in the United States. Imagine if even half of those people donated one can of food or a pint of blood or gave one dollar to a charity of their choice. Would it not make a difference to someone? It may not save the entire world, but the person it did help would be grateful.

As it says in one of my favorite hymns, "Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad? If not, I have failed indeed."  The chorus continues, "Then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above. Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure. A blessing of duty and love." ("Have I Done Any Good?".  Text & Music by Will L. Thompson, 1847-1909)

Let us all strive to do more to feed the one and in return, the hundred will be fed.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

This is wonderful advice, especially for women. We tend to have hearts that are full of compassion, yet we get discouraged that we can't do everything we would like to do, for everyone we care about. Just focusing on doing a little every day WILL make a difference -- and in the end we will have done more than we ever imagined...